The Whitney Irrigation District was formed in 1922 and construction of Whitney Lake and a network of pipelines and irrigation ditches that brought much-needed water to the area was completed in 1925. Our thanks to Dixie Thompson, Secretary of the district for making these photographs available.
The diversion route stretched 6 1/2 miles from White River to Whitney Lake. Notes on one of these photos noted that 5.36 miles of redwood pipeline were used. Which leads us to wonder about the other approximately one mile?
Another photo of the original pipeline feeding Whitney Lake. It was constructed in 1923-1925.
The water for Whitney Lake was originally diverted from White River using this wooden pipeline constructed of redwood staves and metal straps. The line was 36" to 40" in diameter.
Preparatory to full operation of the Whitney Irrigation District, an "Irrigation School" was held at the Whitney school. Attendance appeared to be pretty good.
These were attendees of the "Irrigation School" at the Whitney school in the 1920s.
Preparing for the pouring of cement at Whitney Lake, circa 1924.
Another view of construction at Whitney Lake near Whitney, Nebraska. This photo was taken near the "Rasmussen Outlet," probably in about 1924.
Pouring concret near "Rasmussen Outlet" at Whitney Lake in about 1924.
Workers take a break near "Buckley Gates" during construction of the Whitney Lake project.
This image was captured near "Spearman Outlet."